Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What's The Deal Here?

A long, long time ago in a country far, far away, I was traveling with a group of fellow 16 year olds, when we got to the desert, ready to embark on a three day camping trip. Bear in mind, this wasn't one of those, 'Omigod, when we wake up, we'll be covered in dew', type of camping trips in the desert. This was more along the lines of a 'Omigod, if we don't cover our boots with socks overnight, scorpions will crawl into them and sting us in the morning', kind of camping adventure.

That in mind, as we're getting ready to embark and set up camp, someone in the back of our group pipes up and asks, 'Will we get a chance to do our laundry while we're here?'

Now, I'm no Bear Grylls (and even less so Les Stroud), but I'm pretty sure we weren't going to be able to find a bank of washer and dryers in the middle of the fucking desert and to the complete, polar opposite of my surprise, we did not.

This moment was always etched in my mind as the point I realized that there was such thing as a stupid question, despite being told otherwise my entire life. In fact, after further experience, I'm almost certain that the phrase There's No Such Thing As A Stupid Question, was created by a sorority girl.

I know I'm not alone in witnessing widespread, unmocked stupidity every day (Hell, I'm not even immune to it myself. I did once ask my roommate how often Entertainment Weekly came.) So with this site, I hope to build the finest repository of real life stupid questions anywhere, and I need your help.

Every Friday, excluding July 27th, I will post a smattering of stupid questions that I have heard, and you have heard.

I'm counting on your submissions, so the moment you hear something dumb (excluding, "Will you send all of the dumb questions you hear to me?") email me at stupidquestionsubmissions@gmail.com, with the question, your name and a brief context surrounding the question.

No comments: